- Position: Podcast Sound Designer
- Experience: 3+ years of experience in audio production, particularly sound-designing, mixing, and dialogue editing
- Skills: Expert proficiency with a DAW (Pro-Tools, Logic or similar); Proficiency with audio repair software Izotope RX (de-noise, de-click, etc.); Familiarity with loudness standards (LUFS) with respect to mastering for the podcast medium
- Pay: $25 per hour, to start
- Weekly Hours: 20-30, to start
- Location: Eastern or Central time zones of North America or international equivalent
- Team Lead: Matthew Ernest Filler
- Collaborators: Sidney Evans, Enna Garkusha, and Heidi Roodvoets
About Our Wavelength
We’re FRQNCY Media, the audio production company for Jane Goodall’s “Hopecast,” Diane von Furstenburg’s “InCharge With DVF,” Coca-Cola’s “Total Refresh,” the Georgia Council on Developmental Disabilities’ “Hidden Voices,” and many others.
FRQNCY is a one-in-a-million blend of innovation, passion, and joy. We offer tailored audio production support including integrated services that take (super-skilled) care of content strategy, market research, production, editing, and marketing.
Meet Our CEO & Founder
Michelle Khouri is a podcast executive producer and audio entrepreneur. Michelle founded and singlehandedly bootstrapped FRQNCY Media in 2018 with the vision of making the audio industry inclusive and accessible to all voices who want to bring good into this world. She is a first generation Colombian American who comes from a long line of entrepreneurs, musicians, and activists. Get to know her.
Culture and Purpose Come First
FRQNCY is a purpose-driven company. We value alignment, intention, diversity, kindness, determination, and clarity. Every new member of our team shares our same values with equal fervor. We unabashedly work every day to dismantle toxic patriarchal systems, including Capitalism and white supremacy. You’ll experience that in our day-to-day conversations as we bring to the surface ego-driven, racist, or misogynistic programming that must be called out in order to be healed.
We focus on our people before all else. Which means that all part-time positions are built to open doors for future expansion within the company. If you want to be a part of a company that is changing what it means to work, we should talk.
Oh, and we value joy. We wake up every day wondering how it is we got lucky enough to spend our days surrounded by compelling stories, cradled in beautiful sounds, and entrenched in opportunities to whip up innovative new pieces of audio for our clients.
The Right Fit
Our future podcast sound designer is extremely artful and hyper-detailed at creating immersive soundscapes with a refined blend of SFX, foley, sound design, and music. You’re also a dialogue-cutting, narrative-loving, spec-obsessed audiophile who’s aching for higher quality content in the podcast industry. You know how to strike the balance between achieving a sparkling mix, artfully pacing dialogue, and creatively placing music.
You have mixing experience and you understand how to balance dialogue, music, and sound design to support and elevate great content while avoiding a busy or distracting mix. You are highly organized and able to navigate hours of raw audio while following along with storyboards and timecodes to assemble and master full podcast episodes from a variety of assets, in collaboration with your producer counterpart.
You are open to a heavily collaborative environment and able to turn around deep revisions per the producer’s nuanced notes. You have experience sourcing and mixing foley to create an immersive listening environment, pacing dialogue, cleaning and repairing audio, balancing music to dialogue, and achieving podcast standard levels. You are kind at your core, approach your work with intention, and have big ideas on how to make a simple interview sparkle. You are a clear communicator, especially when it comes to what you need, how your team can support you, and what you aim to achieve.
It’s a bonus if you have experience composing, producing, and mixing music for media. Double bonus if you have experience as a recordist in the studio or the field.
You will report to our wonderful lead audio engineer, and will work closely with our CEO who is Executive Producer for our larger productions.
You will flex your superpowers in the following ways:
- Create immersive soundscapes with a blend of SFX, foley, sound design, and music
- Artfully mix in theme music and transitional cues
- Work with producers to ensure smooth delivery of episode cuts, dialogue cuts, and final cuts
- Cut and assemble dialogue, with a focus on editing for narrative
- Employ a combination of manual editing, processing, and audio repair to achieve sparkling dialogue cutsMaster all cuts to FRQNCY specifications
- Seamlessly integrate into our standing workflows, including Monday.com for project management and BounceBoss for QC
Our ideal part-time producer has:
- Experience: 3+ years of experience in audio production, particularly sound design and dialogue editing
- Expert proficiency with a DAW (Logic, Pro-Tools, or similar)
- Proficiency with audio repair software Izotope RX (de-noise, de-click, etc.)
- Familiarity with loudness standards (LUFS) with respect to mastering for the podcast medium
- Clarity: Strong communication skills and a dedication to meeting deadlines
- Initiative: If you’re proactively thinking about the next cool project, thinking through potential pitfalls, and identifying ways to improve without being prompted, we want to meet you.
- Curiosity: You are naturally wired to research, explore, unearth, and discover.
- Passion: Podcasts are what we do. They’re what we eat, breathe, and sleep. Having a passion for the core of our business is pretty, pretty, pretty…important.
We ask that you provide the following examples of your work:
- Podcasts you’ve sound-designed and mixed
- Dialogue edits you’ve cut, cleaned, processed, and assembled
- Audio mixing and mastering of all kinds, if available
- Bonus: Samples of scoring / music for media
Please specify your contributions to each example (ie. I sound designed and mixed this episode only OR I edited dialog, mixed and mastered this episode only OR I was the recording engineer for this episode only.)
Paige McCauley is FRQNCY Media’s digital marketing maven and resident musical wunderkind. Paige has a long history with the power of sound as an award-winning recording artist and songwriter, performing at venues like The Fox Theatre, House of Blues in West Hollywood, and the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. She also has extensive experience in the music industry, interning for the Recording Academy and working with artists like Billie Eilish, Travis Scott, and Brandi Carlile during her time in college.